High Tunnels & Hoop Houses
Hoop houses and high tunnels provide ideal growing conditions – not only for plants, but for weeds, too! Once they blow in through open doors or piggy-back on plants or equipment, they can thrive. They’ll compete with your crops for nutrients, moisture and space.
If you’re looking for an eco-friendly solution, rule out black plastic and chemical herbicides. And manual weeding is both expensive and time-consuming.
The answer: WeedGuardPlus. Our biodegradable paper weedblock is effective, affordable, and especially well-suited to high tunnel and hoop house growing.
Overhead Watering. Unlike black plastic, which requires drip irrigation, porous WeedGuardPlus allows for overhead watering. It’s specifically formulated to maintain its integrity even when wet.
Healthy Root Development. Its porous nature also allows for healthy root development, unlike black plastic that can “cook” roots, especially with the elevated temperatures of controlled growing environments.
100% Biodegradable. All of our mulch products slowly decomposes over the course of the growing season. After you harvest, it can be incorporated right into the soil, adding beneficial organic matter. What’s more, you save on the costs of removing and disposing of black plastic.
A Choice of Options. We offer a variety of products for different needs. Those of greatest benefit to high tunnel and hoop house production include:
Wide selection of grades
- Organic formulation: Natural Organic Formulation available in 2 weights
- EcoMulch: Natural Organic Formulation, creped for ease of laying, Earthtone brown, medium weight
- GeoMulch: Natural Organic Formulation, creped for easy manual or mechanical laying - Black for thermal heating of soil benefits, heavy weight
- Humic acid fortified and Calcium fortified products: May aid in micronutrient availability
- Wide choice of widths, lengths and pre-punched options suited to all types and sizes of commercial operations
- Degradable Film Mulch a compostable plastic mulch made from corn starch, offers an affordable eco-friendly choice for larger growers.
Easy to Apply. All of our products are easy to apply manually, and our creped products are ideal for machine application. Follow the simple instructions, and watch your crops thrive, free of competition from weeds!